Explore the essentials of back end web development, the benefits of certifications and certificates, and the careers you can pursue in this field. Learn about the top certificates and certifications available for back end web development, and how they can enhance your career prospects.
- Back end web development involves handling everything that happens behind the scenes of websites, such as storing relevant information and generating new content based on user actions.
- Certifications and certificates are different but both valuable; certifications are earned through passing an exam, while certificates are awarded upon completing a program.
- For entry into a new field, a certificate program suffices, while certifications are typically for those seeking higher-level positions or promotions.
- Some of the top certifications for back end web development include the Amazon Web Services Certification and the GSDC Certified Full Stack Web Developer Certification.
- Noble Desktop offers comprehensive training in back end web development, ideal for those looking to expand their career or start a new one.
If you’re looking for a way to demonstrate back end web development skills, you might feel overwhelmed by the different certifications and certificate programs available. You might wonder about the differences between the two credentials, how they can help you get jobs, and how to find the right certification or certificate program for your personal needs. This guide will walk you through the basics of these credentials, so you can efficiently choose the right one for you.
What is Back End Web Development?
Back end web development covers the back end, or “server-side,” of websites. Essentially, it’s the part of websites that handles everything that happens behind the scenes. Without back end web development, websites would only have text, images, and sometimes animations.
Back end web development is important because it helps websites function. While websites can operate using only front end web development, they will be relatively basic and unable to retain anything. Back end web development allows complex programs to operate on the site, store relevant information, and generate new content based on the user’s actions. Modern websites need back end web development to stay current because simple websites can only go so far in the increasingly digital world.
Read more about back end web development and why you should learn it.
What Can You Do with Back End Web Development?
While front end web development focuses on the parts of websites that users see, back end web development handles most of its functions. Back-end web development skills are essential when it comes to organizing, cataloging, and saving (or deleting) data. Without these skills, websites are static and lifeless. You’ll need to use back end web development to ensure that your site meets modern standards and user expectations. Front-end-only websites might lead to user frustration if the site is intended for complex uses such as data retrieval.
Back end web development allows websites to store login information and prevent user frustration from forgetting their password when they revisit your site. If you’ve accidentally logged out of essential websites after clearing your cache, you know how much of a headache it can be to re-login to every site you visit. Your users will appreciate the ease of access to their accounts, which will help enhance their overall user experience.
Certifications vs. Certificates: What’s the Difference?
While certifications and certificates are valuable credentials that can help progress your career, they’re not the same. Certifications are earned after taking an exam, while certificates are earned after completing a program. Both are worthwhile and noteworthy points on your resume that will stand out to employers, but they require two different approaches.
If you want to enter a new field, you only need a certificate to start. Certifications are usually for those who want to move into higher-level positions or gain more leverage for promotion. Most people take certificate programs while they prepare for a certification exam, which gives them the best of both worlds and bolsters their resume significantly.
Top Certifications & Certificates for Back End Web Development
- Software Engineering Bootcamp
- Full Stack Web Development Certificate
- Python Programming Bootcamp
- Python Development with Django
Once you’ve taken a few certificate programs and feel comfortable with their material, you can start studying for the certification exams. Below are a few that you can pursue—make sure to review their requirements and study guides beforehand to ensure that you’re ready:
- Amazon Web Services Certification
- GSDC Certified Full Stack Web Developer Certification
- PCEP - Python Certified Entry-Level Programmer
- CIW Certified Web Development Professional
Should I Get Certified in Back End Web Development?
Getting certificated in back end web development will depend on your overall career goals. If you’re planning to get a job, you’ll be able to get by with a certificate from a certificate program. Most certificate programs tie front end web development concepts with back end principles to give you a well-rounded experience. That means you can start as a Back End Web Developer and move into Full Stack Web Developer roles with relative ease.
When it comes to certifications, they’re usually for people who are already in back end web development positions and want to apply for promotion or for a new position that can expand their skill set. It’s worthwhile to get a certification once you’re in a stable spot in your career—take a look through the back end web development certifications and see which one aligns with your goals the most.
How to Get Certified in Back End Web Development
Getting certified might seem complex at first glance, but it’s pretty straightforward. To get certified in a certificate program, all you have to do is complete it. Choose the one that is best for you and sign up—it’s that simple. Certificate programs require time and dedication, but you’ll be guided by experts in the field who can point you in the right direction at every stage of the program.
You'll need more time to prepare beforehand when you’re getting certified from a certification exam. Some certification exams have requirements you need to complete before registering, while others allow you to sign up as soon as you feel ready. If you’ve taken a certificate program in the subject, contact your instructors and see if they have any insights that can help you prepare.
By reading this guide, you’ve already taken one of the first steps to improving yourself and your career. Be proud of your accomplishments and move forward with confidence.
Learn Back End Web Development with Hands-on Training at Noble Desktop
Learning back end web development is pretty straightforward, and the process can become easier when working with a well-prepared training facility. Noble Desktop has taught live online back end web development classes and other computer science subjects for over 30 years. They’re an excellent choice when you’re looking to expand your career or start a new one.
- Certificate programs and certifications are worth pursuing when you take a new direction in your career.
- Certificate programs are intended for those who want to learn a new skill or close a skill gap needed for your job.
- Certification exams are meant for those who want to move into higher-level positions.
- You can receive comprehensive back end web development training through an in-person or live online course with Noble Desktop.
How to Learn Back End Web Development
- Find Web Development Classes Near You: Search & compare dozens of available courses in-person
- Attend a web development class live online (remote/virtual training) from anywhere
- Find & compare the best online web development classes (on-demand) from the top providers and platforms
- Train your staff with corporate and onsite web development training