Ruby on Rails allows you to quickly build dynamic web applications. It has been the go-to framework for startups like Twitter, GitHub, and Shopify. Mastering Ruby on Rails has two parts: the Ruby Programming language and the Rails framework.
In this 10-week course we’ll cover both Ruby and Ruby on Rails. From the first class, you will build a fully functioning Ruby on Rails web application! Over the course of ten weeks, you will learn:
- Object-oriented programming with Ruby
- Managing versions of your code base and collaborating with other programmers using Git
- The Model/View/Controller (MVC) paradigm, Active Record, Action View, Action Controller, Action Mailer, and Action Job.
- Data modeling and relationships such as belongs_to, has_one, has_many, has_many: through, and polymorphic relationships, as well as delegation and self-joins
- Working with the Ruby on Rails test suite as well as RSpec
- Extending Ruby on Rails with additional gems (plugins) from the community
- Working with various data formats beyond HTML such as JSON, XML, and third-party APIs
- How to build your own API using Ruby on Rails
- Deploying web applications to Heroku and storing remote images on Amazon S3