- Back end web development, also known as server-side development, enables complex functions on websites including storing user login information and creating new content based on user actions.
- Combined knowledge of front end and back end web development prepares you for a career as a Full Stack Web Developer and enhances flexibility in choosing roles within web development teams.
- The program offers one-on-one mentorship from expert instructors and helps students create professional portfolios for future employers.
If you are interested in learning back end web development, you may also wish to learn front end web development. Researching complementary and related skills is an important factor in learning a new skill. Doing so will help you make more informed decisions about what you want to learn, and it will help you decide whether or not learning a specific skill is the right decision for you. You will also learn what skills you may want to learn to complement your training later.
What is Back End Web Development?
Back end web development covers the back end, or “server-side,” of websites, which is the part of a website that handles everything happening behind the scenes. While websites can operate using only front end web development, they will be relatively basic and unable to retain anything. Back end web development allows complex programs to operate on the site, store relevant information, and generate new content based on the user’s actions. Modern websites need back end web development to stay current because simple websites can only go so far in the increasingly digital world.
What Can You Do with Back End Web Development Skills?
While front end web development focuses on the parts of websites that users see, back end web development handles most of its functions. Back end web development skills are essential for organizing, cataloging, and saving (or deleting) data. You’ll need to use back end web development to ensure your site meets modern standards and user expectations. For example, back end web development allows websites to store login information and prevent user frustration. Your users will appreciate the ease of access to their accounts, which will help enhance their overall user experience.
Skills Related to Back End Web Development
Skills that are closely tied to back end web development are front end web development skills. A website cannot perform well without front and back end functionalities. Also, if you wish to become a Full Stack Web Developer, you must understand both front and back end web development. So how difficult is it to learn front end web development skills? The following section breaks down the difficulty of learning specific front end web development skills and details different training methods available.
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is used to create web pages using a series of tags that define the content and structure of a web page. HTML is absolutely essential for learning front end web development. In fact, learning HTML is often the very first step to learning front end web development. HTML is also useful for building custom email templates.
Although HTML is considered a beginner-friendly language to learn due to its simple syntax, how easily you learn HTML depends in part on your prior experience with coding and familiarity with the concepts involved. You can begin learning HTML with an intro to HTML & CSS bootcamp. When you are ready to learn more advanced techniques, choose an advanced HTML & CSS bootcamp. Live online or in-person bootcamps connect you with an expert instructor that can answer your questions, show you best practices, and offer real-time guidance.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is a language for styling web pages. While HTML defines the structure and content of a web page, CSS defines the visual presentation of that content, including colors, fonts, layouts, and other design elements. CSS works hand-in-hand with HTML by attaching styles to HTML elements by embedding style rules directly in HTML tags or referencing external style sheets. By separating the content and structure of a web page from its visual design, CSS provides a flexible and efficient way to style web pages. With CSS, designers can create consistent styles across multiple pages, simplify web page maintenance, and create responsive designs that adapt to mobile, tablet, and desktop devices.
Learning CSS is essential for web developers and designers who want to create attractive and functional websites. You can learn CSS essentials alongside HTML through an intro to HTML & CSS bootcamp. Following up with an advanced HTML & CSS bootcamp helps you improve your CSS skills even more. An in-person or live online bootcamp allows you to learn from an instructor in real-time with hands-on activities to help you learn and retain critical skills.
Learning Full Stack Web Development
Full stack web development means learning both front end and back end web development skills. Learning full stack web development skills prepares you for a career as a Full Stack Web Developer and gives you the flexibility to work as a Front End Web Developer or focus on the back end. Understanding both sides of the web development process allows you to better work alongside any web development team member.
Learn Back End Web Development Skills with Noble Desktop
- If you are interested in back end web development, you may also wish to learn front end web development skills.
- Learning both front end and back end web development can lead to a career as a Full Stack Web Developer.
- Certificate programs for full stack web development teach front end and back end web development skills.
- You can receive comprehensive back end web development training through Noble Desktop, either in person or online.
How to Learn Back End Web Development
- Find Web Development Classes Near You: Search & compare dozens of available courses in-person
- Attend a web development class live online (remote/virtual training) from anywhere
- Find & compare the best online web development classes (on-demand) from the top providers and platforms
- Train your staff with corporate and onsite web development training