Adobe XD CC is a new app that was built with the specific needs of a modern web designer, UX designer, or app designer in mind. Unlike image editing programs such as Photoshop—which were originally created for print, photo retouching, or illustration—the entire focus of Adobe XD is on designing user interfaces and user experiences. You can craft the visuals and turn them into working prototypes all in a single app!
Adobe XD uses artboards, so you can efficiently design web layouts for mobile, tablet, and desktop (or screens for apps). It’s vector-based, so you can scale for a variety of screen sizes with ease, as well as export hi-res (Retina) graphics for the web or apps. You’ll find tools and features specifically relevant to UI (User Interface) design and UX (User Experience) design, such as symbols, repeat grids, built-in protyping tools, and much more.
Why Learn Adobe XD for UI & UX Design?
- With artboards and layout guides, you can design on popular grid systems (like Bootstrap), making it easier to design responsive webpages.
- Turn your designs into clickable prototypes quickly and easily. You can create prototypes directly in XD and share them with users or developers.
- Export specs to give your web developer so they can inspect a layout for size, colors, fonts, spacing, copy CSS code, and more—all from a web bowser without having to own XD.
- One of XD’s unique features is the repeat grid. This lets you quickly repeat a design component in columns and rows. You can then customize the content in each copy, while still bing able to quickly update the design across all of them.
What You’ll Learn
- Use Adobe XD to create and optimize graphics for web and user interface design
- Create wireframes and turn them into finished designs that are optimized for mobile, tablet, and desktop screens
- Design on grids, extract image assets, create hi‑res 2x graphics, and more
Adobe XD in a Day Class Syllabus
Creating New Files & Designing on a Grid
- Using the included UI Kits
- Creating a new file
- Setting up artboards
- Importing text
- Creating colored backgrounds for text
Adjusting the Layout for Tablets & Mobile Phones
- Designing with Bootstrap’s grid
- Adapting the design for tablets
- Adapting the design for mobile phones
Importing & Cropping Photos
- Importing photos
- Image fills
- Image masking
- Rounding corners
Importing Vector Graphics, Color Swatches, Shadows, & More
- Importing & modifying vector graphics
- Aligning & distributing layers
- Layer opacity vs. fill opacity
- Reusing colors (color swatches)
- Adding a drop shadow
- Creating Character Styles
- Editing Character Styles
- Creating a Repeat Grid
- Customizing the content
- Adjusting the design
Symbols (Reusable Elements)
- Creating & editing symbols
- Detaching from a symbol
- Symbols versus Repeat Grids
Turning a Design into a Clickable Prototype
- Linking between artboards
- Previewing the prototype
- Making a recording of a prototype
- Background blur
Sharing XD Files (Clickable Prototypes) & Design Specs
- Sharing an XD file
- Commenting on shared files
- Pinning a comment
- Updating an existing shared file
Exporting Assets for Web: SVG, JPEG, & PNG
- Exporting individual assets
- Exporting artboards