You aced your interview! You can take additional action to further enhance your interviewer’s impression of you by following up with a post-interview thank you email. It’s surprising how few candidates do this, mainly because it’s another opportunity to sell yourself and distinguish yourself from other candidates.
Write a Post-Interview Thank You Email!
Years ago (and currently, if you’re a personal stationery and fountain pen type of person), one would mail this type of communication via snail mail. Given how quickly things move these days, an email is now perfectly acceptable.
The essence of a thank you email is:
- thanking them for taking the time to interview you
- why are you impressed with the interviewer and their organization
- remind them you are a good fit, affirm your strengths
- provide additional information touched upon in the interview (URLs, etc.)
- offer to expand on a topic covered during the interview or answer any questions
- Inquire about the next steps
- keep it short (around three paragraphs) and send it within 24 hours of leaving the interview
Sample thank you email:
Thank you again for taking the time to meet with me on Wednesday.
I am very impressed with your team’s design standards and the projects you shared with me. Your vision for the department and your company’s culture made it clear what a great fit this opportunity would be for me.
I look forward to hearing from you about the next steps and would be happy to answer any other questions you may have or expand on any topic we discussed. Also, here’s the link to my award-winning project we talked about at the interview!