Explore the possibilities of becoming a Front End Developer without needing a formal degree, but through acquiring necessary skills and experience in coding, web development, and programming languages. Learn about the various certificate programs and certifications that can enhance your marketability and career opportunities in this growing tech industry.
- The tech industry often prioritizes demonstrated abilities and experience over formal education, enabling individuals to become Front End Developers without necessarily having a degree.
- Both certifications and certificates can be beneficial for aspiring Front End Developers, with certifications demonstrating expertise in a specific discipline and certificates indicating completion of a particular program or course.
- Several organizations may value or require specific certifications such as AWS Certification, IWA certification, CIW’s Web Development Professional certifications, or Microsoft’s Certification for Azure Developer Associate.
- Online and in-person training options are available to suit different learning preferences, with on-demand or self-paced classes offering flexibility for individuals to learn at their own pace.
The tech industry typically hires people who demonstrate the ability to do whatever work is necessary regardless of how those skills have been acquired. For instance, getting a college degree is usually preferred but not required for becoming a Front End Developer. Although a four-year computer science degree is certainly preferred, thorough coding knowledge and experience can qualify a person for the position with or without a degree. Candidates can make themselves more marketable by demonstrating proficiency with the skills required for front end web development by enrolling in certificate programs or by building a portfolio that displays projects supporting that individual’s capabilities.
What is a Front End Developer?
Web development includes creating websites and apps from scratch. This means applying front end, back end, and full stack web development procedures. Front end development focuses on how a user interacts with a website while back end development concerns the functionality of that website within browsers like Chrome and Safari, for example. Full stack development combines both those functions.
Skills needed for becoming a Front End Developer can also qualify you for working as a Web Developer or Web Designer.
Read more about what a Front End Developer does.
Do I Need a Degree to Become a Front End Developer?
You don't need a college degree to become a Front End Developer. While a degree is not strictly required, many Front End Developers do have four-year degrees in computer science. However, you can make yourself appealing to potential employers by learning the necessary skills required for working in front end web development without needing to attend college.
Many people prefer in-person training and feel more comfortable learning inside a classroom environment with an instructor standing right there in front of them. However, others might choose virtual learning, which provides the advantage of training at home with the same quality of instruction that they would get from an in-person class.
Whichever method for learning a person chooses, either in-person or live online training should provide an appropriate way for learning front end web development. People also have the option of taking on-demand or self-paced classes that allow them to learn at their own pace on their own time.
Read more about if you need a degree to become a Front End Developer.
Do Certifications Matter for Front End Developers?
Getting certifications may not be necessary for working as a Front End Developer with most companies. However, there are several organizations that require or prefer certification if only for specific types of work that include gaining AWS Certification (Amazon Web Services), IWA (International Web Association) certification for becoming a Certified Web Professional, CIW’s (Certified Internet Web Professional) Web Development Professional certifications, or Microsoft’s Certification for Azure Developer Associate to qualify as a Cloud Developer. Even in professions where gaining certification may be helpful, certification might not be required for being able to work at the position but may enhance the likelihood of gaining that desired position.
Certifications vs. Certificates: What’s the Difference?
How to Get Certified as a Front End Developer
Working as a Front End Developer may not require certification with some companies, but anyone looking for employment at the position may benefit from certification in specific areas for work related to web development:
- For example, gaining AWS Certification (Amazon Web Services) would be needed for becoming a Front End Developer if the specific duties require work associated with the AWS Cloud in order to validate cloud expertise.
- The IWA (International Web Association) provides certification for becoming a Certified Web Professional, which provides certainty with the services provided by Web professionals as well as accomplishing the IWA’s goal of recognizing Web professionals who have achieved “unquestioned professional status in a single discipline based on examination, professionalism, and experience” according to the standard established by the IWA.
- Microsoft offers Azure Developer Associate certification to qualify as a Cloud Developer, which, similar to AWS Certification, provides an option for Front End Developers who may choose to focus on web development related to the cloud.
Top Certifications & Certificates for Front End Developer
Noble Desktop offers several certificate programs that can either enhance skills for working as a Front End Developer or provide a foundation in knowledge for helping a participant pass specific certification exams.
Noble Desktop offers the Front End Development Certificate that is geared towards training individuals who have hardly any coding experience with knowledge in programming languages and techniques for skills with building the user side of a responsive website.
Noble Desktop provides opportunities through a variety of certificate programs related to web development, including getting the Full Stack Web Development Certificate, the Web Design Certificate, and the Software Engineering Certificate that can put students on their path to a new career by enhancing their appeal with potential employers.
Another option would be getting the UI Design Certificate, which focuses on user interface through training in visual design by learning to use the tools for creating websites and mobile apps. In this program, students learn about design concepts and applications for working with Figma, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Certification is not required by many companies for working as a Front End Developer, but some organizations may prefer certification in certain areas of web development such as AWS Certification or Azure Developer Associate certification to qualify as a Cloud Developer.
- Getting training through a certificate program is not the same as getting certification that certifies an individual's skills with a specific discipline.
- Anyone considering becoming a Front End Developer may benefit from certification in specific skills related to the profession.