Discover the exciting world of software engineering, an evolving field with an anticipated growth rate of 22% over the next decade. Learn how this field can enhance your professional life, provide a wide range of career opportunities, including Full Stack Web Developers, Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, and more, and unlock lucrative compensation packages.
- Software engineering is a critical field, responsible for designing, developing, and testing technology to solve real-world problems. It extends to creating web applications, mobile applications, video games, robots, operating systems, and network systems.
- Professionals in software engineering often work collaboratively with other technical and non-technical professionals, forging a broad field with opportunities for specialization in different areas of user experience.
- Careers in software engineering range from Full Stack Web Developers who manage both the front and back end of websites, Data Scientists who analyze large amounts of data, Machine Learning Engineers who build AI systems, to DevOps Engineers who oversee code releases and deployments.
- Software engineering skills enhance creative problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, and analytical capabilities, enabling professionals to tackle complex technological challenges.
- Software engineering offers lucrative salary and career opportunities, with an average annual salary of $93,868 in the US, which can exceed $200,000 at companies like Meta, Google, and Netflix.
- Noble Desktop offers a variety of in-person and online classes, providing comprehensive software engineering training and resources to help interested individuals enhance their skills and build successful careers in this field.
Software engineering is a growing field showing no signs of slowing up. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, software engineering jobs will grow by 22% over the next decade, and it is a great career path to consider. Are you interested in learning more about what a software Engineering career can offer you?
Here, you’ll learn more about the careers that benefit from software engineering and how it can enhance your professional life. Regardless of your goals, learning software engineering is a valuable and impressive skill to add to your resume.
What is Software Engineering?
Software Engineering is an engineering branch focused on designing, developing, and testing new technologies to solve real-world problems. Software Engineers bring comprehensive knowledge of programming, design, and engineering principles to build software. These computer science professionals can create web applications, mobile applications, video games, robots, operating systems, and network systems that we use daily!
Software engineering is a collaborative and broad field. The design and development of software solutions will require you to work with other technical and non-technical professionals. These can include engineers, developers, scientists, designers, and other creative and technical professionals. Additionally, Software Engineers can specialize in different areas of the user experience, depending on their interest.
Learn more about what software engineering is and why you should learn it.
What Can You Do with Software Engineering?
Our society continues to rely more heavily on computer-driven processes. Software Engineers are the brain power behind these processes and create the programs and applications we use daily. Software Engineers use programming languages to develop software programs and applications. Programming skills are sought after across fields and sectors, and you can do many cool things with this skill set!
Low-level programming languages, such as assembly and machine language, can be used to create system software. System software is a general software that develops and runs other application software. A few examples of system software are operating systems, like Mac OS and Android, and video game systems, like the Nintendo system software, which allow video games to run.
You can also create application software using programming languages—software engineers design application software to carry out a specific function. For example, Spotify is an application software that allows you to listen to music or podcasts. Engineers use high-level programming languages like Java and Python to write application software.
Common Professional Uses for Software Engineering
Whether you are pivoting into a software engineering career from another field or are looking to upskill, many careers use software engineering skills to power their computer programs and software solutions. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, software engineering jobs will grow by 22% over the next decade, which is faster than average for most occupations. A few potential careers you may land after adding software development skills to your toolbox include:
- Full Stack Web Developer: These developers can manage both the front end (user-side) and back end (server-side) of websites. Working on both ends of development allows engineers to tap into their creative and analytical skills, as they are concerned with what the user will see and how things integrate behind the scenes to keep the software running.
- Data Scientist: We live in a data-driven world, and companies generate large amounts of data about their consumers. Data scientists use scientific methods, machine learning algorithms, and other analytical tools to make sense of this data. Businesses use the insights from Data Scientists to inform business decisions.
- Machine Learning (ML) Engineers: These programmers research, design, and build artificial intelligence (AI) systems. Examples of AI systems include Apple’s Siri, Tesla’s self-driving cars, and Betterment. ML Engineers use large data sets to create algorithms capable of learning to automate prediction.
- Development and Operations (DevOps) Engineer: DevOps engineers oversee code releases and deployments in collaboration with developers and IT staff. In addition, DevOps works across team siloes to ensure new updates and features to software can happen seamlessly and without bugs. These IT professionals have a wide range of knowledge of the software development life cycle and operations.
Enhance Your Creative Problem-Solving Skills Through Software Engineering
Software Engineers are behind the websites, video games, mobile applications, and software tools we use daily. These software solutions began with a problem or issue that a Software Engineer was bold enough to tackle. And, as our world advances technologically, the issues we face will require more complex solutions. Software Engineers must be creative problem solvers to meet (and solve) present and future technological challenges.
Creative problem-solving is an essential skill to have as a Software Engineer. Your day-to-day will include many opportunities to showcase this skill, including finding problems to solve, figuring out how to code solutions to problems, testing and debugging, or working across cross-functional teams. Engineers should have strong analytical and critical thinking skills to identify the source of the problem when debugging. Additionally, elements of creativity and curiosity can help quickly solve these issues and create processes to anticipate them better.
Lucrative Salary and Career Opportunities in Software Engineering
Software engineering is a growing field as it keeps up with the increasing demand across sectors for software engineering skills. These roles typically come with lucrative compensation packages. According to Indeed, the average annual salary of a Software Engineer in the United States is $93,868, with $5,000 in additional compensation. This amount can be even higher depending on where you live and your company. Companies like Meta, Google, and Netflix have offered Software Engineers salaries that exceed $200,000.
Software Engineers also enjoy the flexibility of working across sectors and industries as more companies rely on software solutions and data to inform their work. Another benefit of software engineering skills is that you can switch across professions in software engineering by learning new technology and programming languages. There are plenty of resources to develop your skills. For example, if you worked as a Software Engineer, you can quickly pivot to a career in Data Science by learning additional programming languages. Finally, there is also the opportunity to freelance, as programming and data analysis skills are in high demand.
Build Your Interpersonal Skills Through Software Engineering
The media portrays Software Engineers as programmers working alone in a room (and likely saving the day with a coding solution). While there is plenty of opportunity to work independently, software engineering is a highly collaborative field. Engineers often work in cross-functional teams of technical and non-technical staff to develop software solutions.
A successful engineer can effectively communicate and work closely with others. Active listening and empathy are also vital interpersonal skills for a Software Engineer. Taking time to listen to and understand people’s problems can help you find better solutions to help them. Teams are more efficient and create more innovative solutions when there is a shared goal, clear expectations, and collaboration.
How to Start Learning Software Engineering
Would you prefer to learn software engineering skills in a class setting? Noble Desktop has developed several tools to help you find a Software Engineering class that meets your needs.
Noble’s Classes Near Me tool helps students identify in-person software engineering classes available in their area. The tool also lists live online software engineering classes if you prefer to enroll in a virtual class.
Your schedule and availability will impact how you best learn software engineering skills. If you are juggling a busy schedule, an on-demand Software Engineering class may be best for you. An asynchronous coding bootcamp allows students to complete their curriculums at a pace that fits their schedules. There are on-demand class options for students of all levels, including beginners. You will also find classes that range from a few days to six months.
Noble also offers free, in-depth Software Engineering tutorials on YouTube. The videos feature topics such as an introduction to popular programming languages and web design techniques. You will also find an extensive list of free seminars Noble offers related to software engineering, like the Intro to front end Web Development webinar.
Conquer Software Engineering with Hands-on Training at Noble Desktop
Noble Desktop offers an assortment of Software Engineering classes that will teach you the skills needed to become a Software Engineer. You can join Noble’s courses in-person in Manhattan or virtually from the comfort of your home or office. These courses feature small class sizes led by expert instructors with experience in the field. In addition, Noble classes feature a free retake option that will allow you to retake a course within a year for no extra fees.
Noble’s Python Developer Certificate program is the perfect course for someone with a shorter-time frame looking to learn a highly used programming language. This certificate will take you from a beginner to an intermediate Python programmer in a few weeks. This course will prepare you for success as a Python Developer, Back End Developer, or Software Engineer.
If you’re interested in working with data in your career, Noble Desktop’s Data Science Certificate is a good option for you. This immersive training will equip you with skills ranging from Python programming to machine learning models.
- Software engineering is a field of engineering focused on designing and developing software solutions, such as web and mobile applications, video games, and operating systems.
- A skilled Software Engineer will enjoy a wide variety of career opportunities and lucrative compensation packages as the demand for this skill set continues to rise across industries and sectors.
- Learning software engineering skills can help professionals develop critical soft skills, such as problem-solving and interpersonal communication.
- Once you decide the comprehensive software engineering training is right for you, Noble is here to offer live in-person and online training options to suit your needs.
How to Learn Software Engineering
Master software engineering with hands-on training. Software engineer
- Software Engineering Certificate at Noble Desktop: live, instructor-led course available in NYC or live online
- Find Coding Classes Near You: Search & compare dozens of available courses in-person
- Attend a coding class live online (remote/virtual training) from anywhere
- Find & compare the best online coding classes (on-demand) from the top providers and platforms
- Train your staff with corporate and onsite coding training