Looking to advance your career in computer programming? Learn how to effectively use developer tools and boost your opportunities with relevant certifications and certificate programs.
- Developer tools cover a wide range of programming efficiency tools and libraries including Git, Emmet, Visual Code Studio, React, and Django.
- Proficiency in developer tools is vital for a long-term career in computer programming and can significantly improve job opportunities.
- Certification is awarded through a proctored skills exam, while certificates are awarded upon completion of an industry-recognized skills training course.
- Noble Desktop offers classes aimed at helping students become certified in a collection of developer tools, including the Front End Tools and Portfolio and Front End Web Development Certificate program.
- While certifications in development tools aren't usually necessary for employment, they can demonstrate to potential employers that you possess skills that increase productivity and efficiency.
- Web developers can expect to earn an average salary of $69,424 per year, with potential for higher earnings with certifications and advanced skills.
If you’re looking for a way to demonstrate your skills in developer tools, you might be overwhelmed by the different certifications and certificate programs available. You might also have many questions, such as how do I become certified in a developer tool? Will I need to become certified to get a job? How do I prepare to become certified? This article aims to answer these questions so you can efficiently choose the right path toward a certification. Keep reading to find out more.
What are Developer Tools?
Becoming a professional computer programmer takes a lot of training and effort. You’ll need to learn a wide range of programming languages that each serve a niche function in the development process. However, those looking to parlay their development skills into a long-term career will also need to learn how to use standard tools and libraries associated with computer programming to optimize their workflow and ensure that their code is easy to read, edit, and compile. Whether you are learning to use Visual Code Studio to compile your code, Git to archive it, or specific programming libraries like React and Node.js to expand the scope of your projects, learning developer tools is vital to be an efficient and effective computer programmer.
Read more about what developer tools are and why you should learn them.
What Can You Do with Developer Tools?
Certifications vs. Certificates: What’s the Difference?
Students interested in becoming certified in one or more developer tools should understand that there are multiple ways to become certified. Certification and certificates are distinct ways of demonstrating knowledge and proficiency in a tool or a collection of tools.
Certification is awarded to students who complete a proctored skills exam that tests a student’s knowledge and abilities with a given program. This includes an understanding of a program's features and real-world examples designed to test a student’s ability to use the tool in a practical setting. These exams often do not include training or preparation material and may expire after a fixed period, requiring users to retake the test to keep their certification up to date.
Certificates are more akin to diplomas and are awarded to students who complete an industry-recognized skills training course. These certificates rarely only teach students one tool but tend to teach students several different tools, including programming training in languages like HTML/CSS. These courses are also good places to improve existing skills to prepare for a certification exam.
Top Certifications & Certificates for Developer Tools
Since Developer Tools is a collective term for several varied but valuable applications, there isn’t a way to become certified in all of those tools at once through a certification exam. Instead, students will need to become certified independently through different certification services in Git, Node.js, Emmet, etc.
Students looking to prepare for these individual exams may wish to enroll in a certificate-granting program to ensure they have the experience and training they need to pass each exam.
Should I Get Certified in Developer Tools?
For most professional Developers, becoming certified in a development tool won’t be necessary to get a job. Since these are efficiency tools, prospective employers will be more interested in the development portfolio you use to demonstrate your proficiency as a developer. However, being certified in these tools and frameworks can demonstrate to a potential employer that you have training in skills that will make you a more productive and efficient professional developer.
How to Get Certified in Developer Tools
For most students, the best way to become certified in any given development tool will depend on whether or not you have existing knowledge and training in that skill. Students who, for instance, have on-the-job training in Git won’t need to enroll in a specialized course to become certified in Git.
Students who aren’t trained in developer tools will want to enroll in a certificate-granting course or bootcamp. Career-focused certificate courses are ideal for students who need programming skills and want to complement that training by becoming certified in developer tools. Focused bootcamps are ideally suited for students who don’t need additional computer programming training.
Learn Developer Tools with Hands-on Training at Noble Desktop
Those who want to optimize their web development skills may consider enrolling in a web development training program offered through Noble Desktop. These classes will teach students how to use these tools to become more efficient and productive programmers. Enrolling in a course through Noble Desktop means you receive expert instruction in real-time, regardless of whether you are taking a course online or in-person at Noble’s Manhattan campus. In either case, class sizes are kept small and students can interact directly with their instructors, making it easy to ensure that they don’t fall behind in their lessons. All students can retake their courses within one calendar year, giving them extra opportunities to train with these development tools. Plus, students who work in-person will be able to take advantage of Noble’s state-of-the-art computer lab.
For those looking to master the crucial tools that web developers use to streamline their work, Noble offers a Front End Tools and Portfolio course that covers all of the most common web development tools professionals utilize in their daily work. This includes Git and Github for documenting and sharing code, Emmet for programming efficiency and shortcutting, and Visual Code Studio for compiling and editing code. These tools will help significantly accelerate a student’s ability to bring projects to completion and are invaluable professional tools. This class assumes a knowledge of HTML/CSS, so you must find other means of training if you need to cover those skills.
- Students looking to demonstrate their proficiency in a set of developer tools may wish to go through the process of becoming certified. While this won’t be a job requirement for most developers, it is an excellent way to set yourself apart from other candidates.
- There are two significant ways to become certified. Students can either pass certification exams or complete a certificate-granting training program.
- Certificate-granting programs are ideal for students who need additional training or want to learn web development skills while becoming certified in a collection of developer tools.
- Certification exams are ideal for students who have significant experience using these tools and are willing to become certified in several individual programs.
- Students looking to enroll in a certificate-granting program or to prepare for a certification exam should explore the options for developer tools training from Noble Desktop. These training programs are available both in-person or through live online instruction.