Buy the workbook
This book comes free with our HTML Email class
HTML email has become a staple of communication. Everyone can benefit from sending HTML email, from large corporations to small businesses and freelancers. Give your emails some personality and life! This book will cover building a simple one-time email, and a weekly newsletter format. You'll learn how to layout emails using tables (for better compatability with email clients), apply email-friendly CSS, fix various email client issues, and more.
Includes Downloadable Class Files (works on Mac & PC)
Setup & Introduction
Downloading the Class Files
Before You Begin
- Popular email clients
- Recommended software
Setting Up: Do This Before Other Exercises!
- Setting up your class files
- Working with tables
- Centering the email
- Text styling with inline CSS
- Adding a border
- Closing the gap below images
- Nesting tables for a more complex layout
- Non-centered columns
- Email-friendly CSS
- Streamlining your workflow with embedded CSS
- Closing the gap below images
Adding More Content
- Creating new events
- HTML attributes vs. CSS rules
- Adding a footer
- Setting a background color
- Coding links to open in a new tab or window
- Converting links & image paths to absolute URLs
- Styling links
Best Practices: Alt Text & Preheader
- Adding alt text
- Styling alt text
- Adding a preheader message
- Improving your open rate
Sending Tests & Email Fixes
- Using an inlining tool to convert embedded CSS
- Testing in various email clients
- Fixes for Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, iOS Mail, & Outlook 2007/2010
Creating a Table of Contents
- Making a table of contents
- Named anchors
Creating & Naming Slices in Photoshop
- Slicing a Photoshop file
- Naming slices
- Adding alt text
- Adding link URLs
Optimizing & Exporting HTML
- Optimizing slices as GIF, PNG, or JPEG
- Exporting HTML & images
Overview of HTML Email Best Practices
Features of Noble Desktop eBooks
- Searchable, with live text that you can copy and paste.
- eBook graphics are in color (printed books are black and white).
- Widely compatible: We provide the most common eBook formats (EPUB, MOBI, & PDF) so you can load them onto the device or app you choose; such as Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Android, and more.
- Free updates for the edition you buy. When we make major changes to a book (requiring a new edition), an affordable upgrade option will be available.
- DRM-free: Files are subtly watermarked with your name and email, but we do not restrict the devices or apps you can use to view our eBooks.
- Lifetime access to downloads from free your Noble Desktop account.
The Best Way to Enjoy Our Books
Our workbooks are meant to be used while you work on your computer. They typically contain step-by-step exercises that walk you through doing tasks on your computer. An ideal setup would be to have the eBook loaded onto a device (like a tablet/smartphone) or on a second computer monitor, so you can read the book as you work on your computer. You can also print the PDF if you prefer.
Which File Format Is Right for You?
- Ideal for printing.
- An exact match to the printed book. If the text reflow of an EPUB or MOBI file is confusing please refer to the PDF.
- PDF is compatible with most devices, but it’s not optimized for small screens. If using a smaller screen you’ll likely want to use the EPUB or MOBI files.
- The industry standard eBook format which works with all devices, except for the Amazon Kindle. EPUB can be read on Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, Android, and many more.
- Ideal for smaller screens as the layout reflows to fit the current device (at the type size of your choice).
- Amazon’s format for Kindle devices and Kindle app.
- Using an iOS Device such as iPhone & iPad? The Kindle app for Apple iOS devices requires a specialized format which we do not support. While our MOBI will work in the Kindle app, it will not render well on iOS devices. We recommend using the EPUB format with Apple’s iBooks app if reading on an iOS device.
Recommended Reading Apps
- iBooks (EPUB)
Can You Share the eBook or Printouts?
Noble Desktop books are intended for use by you, the owner. They are not intended to be loaned or given to others. The files are subtly watermarked with your name and email, but we do not apply any DRM. You can copy your eBooks to any of your own devices without restriction. You can print the PDF files for your own use, but not to give to others. You cannot sell used eBooks. Ownership is solely yours and cannot be transferred to someone else.
Buying an eBook for Someone Else
- When you buy an eBook for yourself, it will be added into your account. It will be watermarked with your information and is intended for use only by you.
- You can purchase eBooks for someone else, such as a friend or colleague. Schools and training centers can purchase eBooks for their students (be sure to apply for teacher pricing).
- When buying eBooks for someone else, you will receive an eBook voucher code. Send that code to the recipient and they can redeem it. An eBook voucher code can be redeemed once, for the specific book you purchase for them.
- The recipient of the eBook voucher code will need to log into their Noble Desktop account, or create a free account. In their account they will enter the code on their My eBooks page and the eBook will be added immediately into their account.
- The recipient receives all the same benefits of Noble Desktop eBooks, which includes lifetime access to download their eBook, as well as free updates to that edition. When the next edition is released, an affordable upgrade option will be available to them.