Get Started in Design
Graphic, Web, UX/UI & Motion
Navigate: Right/Left Arrows (or Swipe Left/Right)
Zoom Out: Press Esc (or Pinch)
These slides are for the seminar: Get Started in Design
We’re Going To Discuss
Different types of digital design:
(Graphic Design, UX Design, UI & Web Design, Motion Design)
- What do designers do? (including examples of design work)
- What apps do designers use?
- What type of computer do you need?
- Portfolio websites.
How to Get Started
- Figure out what type of design you’re most interested in.
- Learn the apps you’ll be designing with.
- Learn design concepts (typography, color, composition, user interaction, etc.).
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Build a portfolio.
What is Graphic Design?
- Visual communication through artwork or combined images and text.
- Designing logos, ads, social media graphics, magazines, books, websites, apps, and more.
- Different mediums: print, web, presentations, and more.
- Some people associate graphic design with older types of design (such as print) because new types of designs have specific names (web design, UI design, etc.).
What is UX Design?
- Designing the customer experience, which should be easy, intuitive, and anticipates the customer’s needs.
- User centric design which includes user research, product development, user testing, and more.
- Noble Desktop Blog Article: What is UX Design?
What is UI & Web Design?
- UI (User Interface) Design is designing the visuals of digital products such as apps and websites.
- You design the layout, type, color, composition, and visuals.
- UI Design is sometimes called Visual Design.
- Unlike static mediums like print, UI and web design can also include user interaction and animation.
Should I Learn Code?
- We think web coding skills are very helpful to designers.
- Code is how the web works. Understanding code allows you to better understand the web.
- Helps you to better communicate with developers.
- Helps you know what’s possible, so a developer won’t make you change your design.
- Helps you know how easy/hard a design will be to implement (some designs will take more time and cost more).
Various technologies are used to animate on the web:
Example: Animated GIF
Examples: GreenSock Animation
Learn Web Design
Check out our:
What is Motion Design?
- Motion design is like graphic design for video and animation.
- Uses graphic design concepts such as typography, color, composition, etc. and adds in movement, time, sound, etc.
- Can be for video (TV, movies), web, apps, etc.
Apps for Motion Design
We previously covered web animation, so now we’ll focus on video motion design.
Example: Video Editing
Get Started with Video Editing
For the most part, any decent Mac or PC will work.
Computers for Designers
- Most designers use Macs, and some apps (like Sketch and Final Cut Pro) only work on a Mac.
- PCs can run most design apps, and are better for some apps (like PowerPoint and AutoCAD).
- Getting a new computer? Get an SSD (or at least a Fusion drive on a Mac) instead of a regular Hard Drive.
- Get a hi-res display (Apple calls Retina) such as a 4K monitor.
- Video apps like After Effects and Premiere Pro are more demanding. Speed, RAM, and good graphics card help.
Design as much as you can. Practice makes perfect.