Python is the leading language used by programmers today! It is the ideal language for beginners because it's both powerful and easy to learn.
In the first half of this hands-on Python course, you will begin by learning the fundamentals of Python code and then transition into more complicated programming tasks. The second half of the course focuses primarily on data science using Pandas, Matplotlib, and Sci-Kit learn. These packages will teach you how to input, analyze, and graph data.
Prerequisites & Ages: The program is ideal for high school students with a strong interest in coding. Prior coding/programming experience is not required, but students must be comfortable with computer basics. This course is great for any teen interested in coding, finance, journalism, marketing, and communication.
Take this class as part of a certificate program and save:
Learn to graph financial data from the 1800s to present day!
Learn to graph two sets of data on one grid.
Spend your Summer Coding Python
Gain valuable programming experience and data science know-how in our python summer camp! Programming skills will help you maximize your performance in high school and college; in this course, you'll boost your college application, master computational thinking within real-world situations, prepare yourself for any computer science class in your future, and have fun all at the same time!
“Very thorough material and hands-on experience. Everyone cares about you and you can ask as many questions as you like. Better than a regular class.”
“The course was a great experience. I learned more then I ever have in this program. The teachers were extremely nice and always willing to help out! The course materials were clearly well-prepared and the speed of the course was perfect!”
“It is a fast paced program where the teachers do a great job of making sure everybody is keeping up. The projects and assignments were challenging and interesting as well. The only con for me was the age gap between students but it wasn't a big problem.”
Python is the most versatile and powerful of the programming languages, and this course is designed to help you become fluent quickly and easily! This Python class will give you all the skills that you would normally need two semesters of a college-level course to learn.
Enter the World of Data Science
Data Science has become the most sought-after and lucrative field in programming. It has been voted the best job in America by Glassdoor for the past 3 years! Use your skills from this class to analyze any type of data from financial to sport.
This condensed 2-week course will give you all the necessary skills without wasting time on needless lectures. The course is extraordinarily hands-on, enabling students to start writing code within the first hour on the first day!
Learn more about our Python Course
Python is a popular, back-end coding language. Both easy-to-learn and easy-to-use, it’s considered one of the top ten coding languages in the world. Python is used to build software programs, web applications, online tools, and games. You can also use Python to customize popular computer software programs like Salesforce.
Created by Guido Van Rossum in 1991, Python was designed for general purpose programming. It’s most similar to other programming languages like C, Java, and Perl. Python is managed by the Python Software Foundation, and its most recent update was Python 3 in December 2017.
The first half of this course covers the fundamentals of Python. Students will explore how to write a program, learn how to think like a programmer and understand how to structure and develop their code. This course will teach students fundamental computational thinking processes that are universal amongst all coding languages.
The second half of the course delves into data science using Python. Data science is a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science, making it an excellent companion for the computation-based Python language. Data science can be divided into three main sections, one being the collection of valuable data, the second being the analysis of data, and the third being the visualization of data. In this course, students will learn all three using Python and extensive libraries.
Why Learn Python at NextGen?
Easy to Learn: Python has a very intuitive coding style with its limited need for lexical syntax and English-like keywords. Unlike Java, Python code does not require punctuation after every line of code. This allows students to master Python quicker because they can focus on the concepts and paradigms and do not have to focus on the syntax.
Used by Many Companies: Even though Python is a great beginner language, it is also extremely powerful. It is currently being used by the world’s top organization and companies such as NASA, Amazon, Google, Netflix, Facebook, and Apple. Along with its power, Python is remarkably efficient. Python can achieve with 100 lines of code what Java or C++ can do in 500 lines.
Extensive Libraries: Another major benefit is the versatility of the language due to the libraries, packages, and frameworks that were created in conjunction with Python. Without libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, and Matplotlib, Python would not be useable for Data Science. Additionally, Django and Flask are two frameworks that allow Python to be used for web development.
Community: A language is only as strong and useful as the number of people who are coding in it. Python has just surpassed 35 million downloads per year and an estimated 5 million programmers worldwide are using Python as their preferred language. This massive adoption of Python by programmers is a testament to its impressive strength and speed. It has also led to an extraordinarily valuable social network of Python developers; from searching for debugging solutions on Stack Overflow or Github to finding a job in a new city, the Python social network reigns supreme.
Who should attend our Python Summer courses?
Our python course is designed primarily for high school students but college students are welcomed as well! There is no math or coding pre-requisite for this course.
This course is a great introduction to the world of programming and computer science. Anyone who is interested in business, technology, entrepreneurship, journalism, and many other different jobs would benefit from the skills and concepts taught in this class. Python is an incredible language to learn because it is being used by so many different types of working professionals today, from programmers to academics to financiers.
Python Course Detailed Overview
- Overview of Coding & Programming: Learn how the Python language works, in addition to basic computer organization and architecture.
- Introduction to Programming: Learn Python basics, syntax, dynamic language, write your first program, learn how to compile and run programs in the terminal commands, and learn how to use Sublime Text.
- Variables, Data Types, and Operators: Learn how to assign and declare variables, explore primitive variable types such as integers, strings, Booleans, and floats, mathematical operators, and/or operators, and proper programming practices such as commenting and variable naming.
- Control Flow: Learn how to structure code, if-else statements, for loops, while loops, global and local variables, nested for loops, switch statements.
- Functions: Learn how to create repeatable code using functions, parameters, arguments, return value, the motivation behind functions.
- Lists, Strings, Tuples, and Dictionaries: Learn how to store data using lists, declaring an empty list, index, appending to a list, using loops and lists, manipulate strings, and understand how key-value pairing works.
- Modular & Object-Oriented Programming: Learn about classes, encapsulation, inheritance, super-class, polymorphism, and learn how to navigate packages and understand abstract classes and method overloading.
- Numerical Python: Numpy, arrays, datatype, shape, indexing, slicing, masking, linear algebra, convolution, Fourier.
- Pandas: Importing CSV and Excel files, series, data frame, shaping, merging, and renaming, grouping, manipulation, real-time data integration
- Visualization: Matplotlib, Seaborn, scatter plots, histograms, fig and ax, maps, images
- Advanced Topics: Artificial intelligence, machine learning